Thank you for your interest in applying to be a Member of the Institute of Registered Veterinary Physiotherapists. We want your application to go as quickly and smoothly as possible so please take your time to review all of the advice on this page before you start your application.
The Application Process
For New Applicants
To make your application process as fast as possible you should prepare the evidence to support your application before proceeding. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete a new application.
Once we have received your application a panel of 5 Council Officers will review the documents submitted. If there are any questions the membership secretary will reach out to you. You should respond as a matter of urgency as this may delay your application.
Once your application has completed the Registration Process, our membership secretary will email you from email@example.com
For Renewing Members
Renewing memberships are fast tracked. If there have been no major changes to your membership (such as change of category or additional qualifications) your application will be automatically renewed upon completion of the application form and payment of fees.
Each category of membership has specific requirements. To help prospective applicants understand which category to apply for, we have a Recognised Educational Provider (REP) scheme. Our REP scheme does not endorse or promote any of these particular courses but they have been assessed as meeting our entry requirements for the categories within which they are listed. Where your qualification is not listed you will be asked to provide more information for our Registration Panel to consider, along with your Prior Experiential Learning.
Recognised Educational Providers
For Veterinary Physiotherapist (VP) Memberships:
- Animal Courses Direct – Level 6 Diploma in Veterinary Physiotherapy with Hydrotherapy
- BCA College – BSc Veterinary Physiotherapy
- CEPT / Middlesex University – MSc Veterinary Physiotherapy
- CEPT / Middlesex University – PgD Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Harper Adams University – BSc (Hons) Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Harper Adams University – MSc Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Harper Adams University – PgD Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Hartpury University, Gloucester – MSc Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Hartpury University, Gloucester – PgDip Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Learn Direct – Level 6 Diploma in Veterinary Physiotherapy with Hydrotherapy
- Plumpton College – BSc (Hons) Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Stonebridge Associated Colleges – Level 6 Diploma in Veterinary Physiotherapy with Hydrotherapy
- The Open College of Equine Studies – Level 6 Diploma in Equine Physiotherapy
- University of Liverpool – Pg Dip/MSc Veterinary Physiotherpy
- University of Liverpool – MSc Veterinary Physiotherapy
- University of Liverpool – PgD Veterinary Physiotherapy
- University of Nottingham – MSc Veterinary Physiotherapy
- University of Nottingham – PgD Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Warwickshire College University Centre – BSc (Hons) Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Writtle University College – Integrated Masters (MVetPhys) in Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Writtle University College – MSc Veterinary Physiotherapy
- Writtle University College – PgD Veterinary Physiotherapy
For Manual Therapist (MT) Memberships:
- Animal Courses Direct – Level 3 Diploma Canine Massage
- Animal Therapy Solutions Ltd – Level 4 Equine Sports Massage
- Equine Massage Academy – Advanced Practitioner in Equine Integrative Support Therapies (APEIST)
Equine Massage Academy – Practitioner in Equine Sports and Remedial Massage (PESRM)
Equine Massage Academy – Practitioner in Canine Massage and Rehabilitation (PCMR)
- International Academy Of Veterinary Chiropractic – Essentials of Veterinary Chiropractic Course
- McTimoney College – MSc Animal Manipulation (Osteopathy).
- McTimoney College of Chiropractic – Integrated Masters in Veterinary Chiropractic
- McTimoney College of Chiropractic – MSc Animal Manipulation (Chiropractic)
- Options for Animals – Professional Diploma Animal Chiropractic (PDAC)
- Options for Animals UK – Master Practitioner Animal Chiropractic (MPAC).
- Options for Animals UK – Professional Certificate Animal Chiropractic (PCAC)
- The College of Animal Physiotherapy – Level 6 Diploma Veterinary Physiotherapy
For Institute of Canine Hydrotherapists (ICH) Memberships:
- Level 3 Award in Advanced Aquatic Treadmill Therapy (L3AATT)
- Level 3 Award in Aquatic Treadmill Therapy for Small Animals (L3ATTSA)
- Level 3 Certificate in Canine Hydrotherapy (L3CertCanHydro)
- Level 3 Certificate in Small Animal Hydrotherapy (L3CertSAHydro)
- Level 3 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy (L3DipSAHydro)
- Level 4 Award in Canine Hydrotherapy (L4CanHydro)
- Level 4 Certificate in Canine Hydrotherapy for Veterinary Physiotherapists (L4CertCanHydroVP)
- Level 4 Diploma in Canine Hydrotherapy (L4DipCanHydro)
- Level 4 Diploma in Small Animal Hydrotherapy (L4DipSAHydro)
For Institute of Equine Hydrotherapists (IEH) Memberships:
- Equine Massage Academy – Level 2 Equine Hydrotherapy
Prior Experiential Learning
If your course isn’t listed above that doesn’t mean you can’t join us. These applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis after providing evidence that they meet the standards of practice, fulfil on-going CPD requirements and comply with all other entry criteria. We will assess your –
- History of employment within the musculoskeletal and veterinary health care industry
- Your continuous professional development activities
- Any other relevant documented experience and learning
You should submit evidential documentation (including certificates, course module specification including documents evidencing practical experience) that show the you have completed suitable professional courses.
IRVAP provide a list of recognised courses who have been through our rigorous accreditation scheme.
You should refer to the entry criteria for the membership category you are seeking to join.
We welcome student applicants on any of the above listed courses.
Throughout the application process we will ask you for various documents in support of your application. We strongly advise preparing these documents in advance of commencing your application.
Trading & Employment Information
- Your Business Logo
- Your Current CV
- Your Insurance Certificate (if not taking our Group Insurance policy)
- Your Companies House Number (if trading as a Ltd company)
- Certificates – These are the actual certificates provided by your awarding bodies.
- Transcripts – These are documents provide confirmation of the units studied.
- CPD Record – Required for all applicants with over 2 years in practice
Applicable for applicants to the ICH or IEH only
- Blank water testing templates
- Species relevant first aid certificates
Membership fees are payable by Credit or Debit card prior to assessment of your application. Due to the assessment works required for each application fees are non-refundable. You will automatically be emailed a receipt of payment. Should you require further support with regard to payment please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
IRVAP have negotiated a competitive premium for our group insurance scheme which members can opt into during the registration process.
Wait for your application to process
We will process your application as soon as practical. You will be updated via email when your membership has been accepted or if we have additional queries. You should ensure email@example.com is on your email safe list.
Group insurance certificate
If you opt in to our Group Insurance policy you will receive an insurance certificate via email. Issuing certificates is a manual process so may take some time. New applicants are insured once you receive our welcome email having been accepted by Council. Renewing applicants are automatically insured following successful payment of membership fees.
When you are a member
Please read the welcome email carefully, download your membership badge to use in publications and online, and join the IRVAP mentoring scheme.
We will add you to our Find A Therapist website however this takes time as it is a manual task. Please allow up to 4 weeks for this to be complete.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a new application take to process?
Our volunteer assessment panel will process your application as quickly as they can. The more complext the application the longer it may take. We ask you to allow up to 4 weeks for review by our panel. We allow up to 12 weeks for applications to process where we have asked applicants for additional information.
How long does my membership last for?
IRVAP membership runs in annual cycles ending on the 30th March each year regardless of the date of registration.
My course is a Level 6 course why do I not qualify for the Veterinary Physiotherapy category?
Only courses that are Ofqual regulated or independently assessed by IRVAP for their quality and educational standards meet our criteria for VP status.
I don’t have an Ofqual regulated Level 3 certificate in Small Animal Hydrotherapy can I still qualify for ICH membership?
L4 -L7 qualification holders are required to map in their qualification to the ICH day one canine hydrotherapy competencies. A copy of this document is available upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org
I have more questions, who do I contact?
Please email email@example.com and our Membership Secretary will gladly support you through your application and queries.
For Membership Enquiries - firstname.lastname@example.org
For Professional Development Matters - email@example.com
For Canine Hydrotherapy Support - firstname.lastname@example.org
For Equine Hydrotherapy Support - email@example.com
For Receipts and Transactions - firstname.lastname@example.org
For Mentoring and Support - email@example.com
For Student Support - firstname.lastname@example.org
For The IRVAP Chair - email@example.com